The Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen
The 9th Armored Division was assigned the missions to seize the city of Remagen and its vicinity and to establish crossings over the Ahr River (a tributary of the Rhine south of Remagen). Late in the afternoon of March 7, elements of the 9th Armored Division crested a hill near the town of Remagen and discovered a bridge still standing. The Bridge they were looking at was the Ludendorff Bridge. It was built from 1916 to 1919 and was named in honor of WWI German General Erich Ludendorff. It carried two rail lines and a walkway. The American forces rushed into action to capture it.
Return to Thumbnails
Official Website of the U.S. Army Military Police Corps Regimental Museum User Agreement/Disclaimer