U.S. Army Engineer School
31st Engineer Battalion Coat of Arms and Statement of Service
Coat of Arms
Shield: Per chevron wavy gales and argent, in chief two mullets of the last, in base on a spade sable on edelweiss proper.
- The two stars allude to the arms of the town of Bischwiller in France (Alsace Ardennes). Considered a “hot spot”, the unit suffered its first casualties there.
- The wavy chevron represents Central Europe, the area in which the unit constructed bridges.
- The edelweiss refers to the Rhineland.
- The spade with the edelweiss together with the two stars represent three battle honors awarded the unit for services in the European Theater, World War II.
Statement of Service
Constituted 1 July 1940 in the Regular Army as the 31st Engineer Company and activated at Fort Belvoir, Virginia
- Reorganized and redesignated 15 December 1941 as the 31st Engineer Battalion
- Reorganized and redesignated 29 April 1942 as the 31st Engineers
- Redesignated 1 August 1942 as the 31st Engineer Combat Regiment
Regiment broken up 22 March 1943 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows:
- 1st Battalion as the 31st Engineer Combat Battalion
- (Headquarters and Headquarters and Service Company as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1114th Engineer Combat Group; 2d Battalion as the 241st Engineer Combat Battalion -- hereafter separate lineages)
- 31st Engineer Combat Battalion inactivated 9 March 1946 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey
- Activated 10 March 1951 at Camp McCoy, Wisconsin
- Reorganized and redesignated 8 June 1953 as the 31st Engineer Battalion
- Inactivated 15 December 1956 at Fort Carson, Colorado
- Activated 17 June 1963 at Fort Chaffee, Arkansas
- Inactivated 12 March 1972 at Fort Lewis, Washington
- Headquarters transferred 30 September 1986 to the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command and activated at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri
- Inactivated 2 October 1993 at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri
- Activated 1 October 2001 at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri
- Inactivated 1 October 2002 at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri
- Activated 1 October 2005 at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri