Strategic Imperatives (LOEs)● Leverage stakeholder Organizational Values● Soldiers are Your Legacy
● Execute expeditionay focused
● Balance tactical and technical
● Embody the Army Profession
of Arms (All)
● Develop leaders (Cadre)
● Trust and Respect are
Earned, Not Given
● Phasing has a Purpose,
Influence is Your Method
● We are Disciplined, Adaptive,
● Seek Balance: Family First,
● We Believe in the Heritage
and Traditions of Our Army
Organizational Values● Soldiers are Your Legacy
3rd Chem : Bde History
3rd CHEMICAL BRIGADE HISTORY
In 1942 the 3rd Chemical Brigade was first activated at Fort Benning, GA as the 3rd Separate Chemical Battalion. The Chemical Warfare Service (CWS) recognized the new unit stating “it was said to be born under the pine trees and capable of rolling out the fog at any time.” On 1 Apr 1942, it was re-designated as 3rd Chemical Battalion due to the demand for chemical mortars during World War II.
The 3rd Chemical Battalion’s first campaign was an amphibious assault landing in Sicily from 10 Jul 1943 to 17 Aug 1943. They successfully accompanied the initial assault waves of three of the four landing teams of the 3rd Infantry Division and provided smoke screen/explosives at H-10. As the Sicilian campaign was triumphant, the 3rd Chemical Battalion continued missions in Italy in the Naples-Foggia campaign from 1 Nov 1943 to 21 Jan 1944 in preparation for the key Battle of Rome.
The Battle or Rome or Rome-Arno campaign took place from 22 Jan 1944 to 9 Jul 1944. The 3rd Chemical Battalion initiated the battle by firing 7,000 rounds of ammunition in twelve hours as preparatory fire which broke the enemy lines. This battle was different for the 3rd Chemical Battalion as they were routinely committed as rear echelon element, but suddenly found themselves as battle troops in front-line contact with savagely-resisting enemy. At the completion of the Rome-Arno campaign, and after month’s rest, they began preparations for the invasion of Southern France.
The campaign in Southern France was another amphibious assault landing mission that took place from 15 Sep 1944 to 24 Oct 1944. The 3rd Chemical Battalion spearheaded the Seventh Army invasion. They successfully came ashore at H-hour and provided a 2,000 yard smoke. This smoke screen caused the enemy to cease fire at H+30 and drove the Allied force way north to the Siegfried Line. The next campaign of Rhineland began upon the completion of Operation Overlord and took place from 25 Oct 1944 to 23 Dec 1944. The campaign was the movement from Paris to Rhine and ended with an axis surprise winter attack named the Battle of the Bulge. This attack began the Ardennes-Alsace Campaign from 24 Dec 1944 to 6 Feb 1945. The 3rd Chemical Battalion once again operated as front line troops and held gaps in the line with nothing but their pistols, carbines, and mortars. They were successfully able to frustrate the Germans with their ability to jump from position to position before German guns could target them.
Following the Ardennes-Alsace Campaign, 3rd Chemical Battalion, was reorganized and re-designated again on 11 March 1945 as the 3rd Chemical Mortar Battalion. Their final campaign was Central Europe form 7 Feb 1945 to 9 May 1945 which led to the inactivation of the 3rd Chemical Mortar Battalion on 2 January 1946 at Camp Patrick Henry, VA. Throughout World War II, 3rd Chemical Mortar Battalion’s Soldiers consistently served honorably and were seldom taken out of action as the Soldiers referred to themselves as “part of the terrain” during combat. They had no rest until Victory in Europe Day (VE-Day) on 08 May 1945 with more combat days that any other chemical mortar battalion with 477 days and 171,612 rounds fired.
The battalion again activated at Fort Bragg, NC for a short period and eventually disbanded. On 1 Oct 1999, the 3rd Chemical Battalion was reconstituted and re-designated as the 3rd Chemical Brigade at Fort Leonard Wood, MO and transferred to the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC).
While at Fort Leonard, the 3rd Chemical Brigade has become the most diverse training brigade within TRADOC consisting of five battalions and four directorates. The brigade’s permanent party personnel are the subject matter experts in their field and requested as augmentees to support the Nation in times of need. The 3rd Chemical Brigade provided hazardous response augmentees to support the response effort following the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack and Hurricane Sandy in October 2012. The brigade’s unique training capabilities attract Soldiers from many countries and branches of the military. On average, the brigade is responsible for training over 25,000 Soldiers, joint and allied service members each year. The 3rd Chemical Brigade will continue training Leaders and Soldiers to excel as professional team members in current and future joint and multi-national operational environments.
|U.S. Army Links|
|CBRN Professional Links|