84th Chemical Battalion History

The 84th Chemical Mortar Battalion was activated on 05 June 1942 at Camp Rucker, Alabama. After basic and advanced training, the battalion deployed to Oran, Algeria in the European Theater of Operations during April 1943.

The battalion was held in reserve during the Sicily invasion, but entered combat in September 1943 at Salerno Beach, Italy. Later, in October 1943, the 84th was tasked to support the 3rd Infantry Division crossing of the Volturno River. By the end of October the battalion supported operations against the German winter line.

The 84th Chemical Mortar Battalion landed at Anzio on 22 January, 1944. In May 1944, the battalion fired over 3,000 rounds in support of the 3rd Infantry Division. By June, US forces had pushed the Germans beyond Rome, and the battalion reconstituted.

The 84th later found itself spread across the entire Italian front, with each company supporting a different division. The 84th Chemical Mortar Battalion was credited with five campaigns and two assaults before being inactivated in Italy in September, 1945.

The 84th Chemical Mortar Battalion was redesignated on 17 October, 1986 at Fort McClellan, Alabama as the 84th Chemical Battalion. In August 1999, the battalion moved to its current location at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri.

In September 2007, two chemical battalions merged, giving the 84th the added responsibility of Advanced Individual Training. With the new and diverse mission set, Alpha Company’s responsibilities include the Officer, Technical, and Chemical Training Departments, along with the Battalion Headquarters, while Bravo and Charlie Companies train the Corps’ AIT Soldiers.

LINEAGE AND HONORS

84TH CHEMICAL BATTALION

Constituted 12 March 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 84TH Chemical Battalion. Activated 5 June 1942 at Camp Rucker, Alabama. Reorganized and redesignated 24 November 1943 as the 84TH Chemical Battalion, Motorized.

Reorganized and redesignated 8 November 1944 as the 84TH Chemical Mortar Battalion. Inactivated 25 September 1945 in Italy. Redesignated 17 October 1986 as the 84TH Chemical Battalion and allotted to the Regular Army; Headquarters concurrently transferred to the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command and organized at Fort McClellan, Alabama. In August 1999, the battalion moved to its current location at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri.

CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT

World War II Naples-Foggia (with arrowhead) Anzio (with arrowhead) Rome-Arno North Apennines Po Valley

iSalute Link
84th Chemical Battalion Facebook page